I’m the first to admit I’ve been a bit lax in my blogging lately – a few other things on my mind… I can’t let a trip to Budapest go unmentioned though! Not that I was expecting it to be the culinary highlight of my year…
Which to a certain extent was true. If you’d have asked me at the end of day 3 (of 4) what I thought of Hungarian food I’d probably have tried some witticism about the country having a fitting name. At that point, the highlights were the proliferation of non-alcoholic beer and ice cream! Or so I thought…
For on Monday, day 4, I had booked us in for a Taste Hungary tour of the grand market and surrounding area. What a fantastic day! A four hour walking tour through the market then surrounding shops, sampling the best of Hungarian produce, which included (in order):
- a shot of Unicum (I sniffed only – that was enough. Everyone else drank…at 10am!)
– Langos – a kind of savoury doughnut eaten for breakfast
– 4 types of sausage including horse meat (she didn’t tell us until after we’d eaten it – at which point I was delighted that I had just said I didn’t really like that one)
– goose crackling (like pork scratchings)
– 4 different types of artisan cheese – all a lot like cottage cheese and feta
– sour cherries
– artisan chocolates – porcini mushroom truffles and tarragon flavoured ones
– a traditional Hungarian lunch of sausage, duck leg, cabbage, pickles, pork and paprika stew, fried potatoes and bread – none of which I would have ordered before then, but was excellent!
– a selection of traditional pastries and cakes
– A sample of candy – bit like Brighton rock
– 3 different wines (or in my case an enormous fresh lemonade which everyone was jealous of ironically as it was so hot!)
It was a real eye opener and I’m so glad we did it – good value for money and really gave us a feel not only for the cuisine but also the culture and history of this beautiful city and its people. Wish we’d done it on day 1!
Unfortunately, I forgot my camera that day, so can only share with you the beer and ice cream highlights!!